Legendary South Indian Music Director MS Viswanathan (Manayangth Subramanian Viswanathan), who had been suffering from age-related ailments passed away this morning around 4.15 a.m at a private hospital in Chennai. Since few days, he was suffering from breath-related problems and severe illness. He died at the age of 87. This great music director was admitted to the intensive care unit of Fortis Malar Hospitals on 27th June 2015 with breathing difficulty and his condition had been worsening ever since. After taking treatment for some days, his health was better and almost set to go back home as there were signs of recovery. Suddenly, his condition has become very serious and left the world.
Emperor of Cine Music
M S Viswanathan also called MSV composed songs for more than 1,200 films in Tamil, Malayalam and Telugu. In Tamil, he composed songs for films like Billa, Nalai Namathe, Urmai Kural and Sirithu Vazha Vendum. He started his career as a composer in 1952 in a Tamil film “Panam”. He not only composed music but also has acted and sung in a few Tamil films. Present CM of Tamil Nadu J Jayalalithaa conferred the Thirai Isai Chakravarthy (“The Emperor of Cine Music”) title on him in August 2012.
Viswanathan and his fellow composer TK. Ramamurthy would compose together and this collaboration extended until 85 films in a span of 10 years. This duo was very much attractive with their music split in 1965. Few best films done by the duo are “Paasamalara, “Sumaithaangi”, “Server Sundaram”, “Aayirathil Oruvan” and “Enga Veetu Pillai”. After their separation, Viswanathan became more popular.
Viswanathan became star composer by giving music in hit films like “Deivamagan”, “Moondru Dheivangal”, “Galatta Kalyanam”, “Rickshawkaran”, “Bama Vijayam”,”Bharatha Vilas” and “Ulagam Sutrum Valiban”.Viswanathan became famous in Telugu film industry by composing in films such as “Tenali Ramakrishna”, “Anthuleni Katha”, “Idhi Katha Kaadu”, “Aakali Rajyam” and “Maro Charitra”.
All Time Hit Songs of MS. Viswanathan:
- Ye theega Puvvuno…..from the Movie “Maro Charitra”.
- Saa Patu Etu Ledu.…. from the Movie “Aakali Rajyam”.
- Devude ichadu Veedhi Okati….. from the Movie “Anthuleni Katha”.
Awards of M.S. Viswanathan
- Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award-South (2001).
- PBS Puraskar Award presented by Aruna Nithya Gopal Foundation awarded on 29 September 2013 at Ravindra Bharati.
- Honorary doctorate from Tirunelveli-based Manonmaniam Sundaranar University (MSU) on 3 January 2013.
- Doctorate conferred bySathyabama University in 2006.
- Paramacharya Award, meaning ‘The Ultimate Guru’ in 2006.
- Life Time Achievement Award by Sangam Kala group in 2004.
- Media gave him title “Mellisai Mannar” along with T.K. Rammoorthy, meaning “King of Light Music” or “King of melodies”.
- ‘Sangeetha Saraswathi’ by Poojya Sri Guruji Viswanath of Manava Seva Kendra.