Singapore Government presented the Seed Capital Area (SCA) Master Plan for Andhra Pradesh capital Amaravati
to Chief Minster N Chandrababu Naidu in Rajahmundry on Monday. It is planned according to the Naidu’s ideas of Eco-friendly and smart capital, yet it will be a commercial hub for industries in the areas of agri-business and logistics, IT-enabled Services (ITeS) and pharmaceuticals. Singapore’s second Minister for Trade and Industry S. Iswaran presented the plan, the final of the three-stage Master Plan.
Also Read : Temples in Andhra Pradesh
The brand new capital named Amaravathi will be situated between Guntur and Vijayawada on the banks of river Krishna. The SCA Master Plan is for an area of 16.9 sq-km and would be developed in 5 phases. The Seed Development Master Plan sets out in detail the land use and infrastructure plans for the start-up area of Amaravati. The Seed Development will rise on the south bank of the Krishna River as the heart of Andhra Pradesh’s New Capital city. It’s civic district will house the institutions and buildings of the government of Andhra Pradesh, including the Legislature, the Executive and the Judiciary.
“Amaravati is envisaged to be developed as smart, green and sustainable city. In the line of being developed as the People’s Capital of Andhra Pradesh, our aspiration is to create a vibrant, diverse, inclusive and modern city which will be a symbol of pride for the people of Andhra Pradesh and India,’’ said CM Chandrababu Naidu.
Thanking the Singapore government for providing the plans for free in a short span of time, Naidu said the state government envisaged “a world-class city” for capital. Naidu also said that Amaravati is the project which is being watching by the people across India.
Bhumi Puja’ had been performed for the capital city and the state also invited Prime Minister Narendra Modi for the foundation-laying ceremony on October 22, said Andhra Pradesh State CM.
“Singapore prepared the master plan according to what we have in our mind. The plan has laid out the infrastructure for delivering reliable supplies of electricity and water while managing solid waste and sewerage. Amaravati will be an ultra-modern, smart and livable city,” added Naidu.
Naidu said Amaravathi would become the best capital city of the 21st century. Referring the city as the People’s Capital and hoping to complete its construction at the earliest possible, Naidu said, “The capital is not only for administrative purposes. It should be dynamic and also have economic activity. The master plan provides an easy access to amenities such as schools, healthcare services, shopping malls, markets to make it a people’s capital.”
Amaravathi will have lush green cover and plenty water bodies. Singapore agencies Surbana International Consultants and Juror Consultants have prepared the master plan.
Six Key factors of the Master Plan
- Providing jobs and homes
- World-class infrastructure
- Quality living
- Protecting identity
- Protecting heritage
- Resource management & Environment
S Iswaran, Second Minister for Trade and Industry, said, “This is where the beginnings of a great city will be established and Singapore is honored to play a small part through the master plans for Amaravati. However, our partnership with Andhra Pradesh will begin from this point by assisting them in the development of capital city.We will continue to collaborate on development of Amaravati.”
Naidu is currently holding a day-long meeting with the Singapore delegation in Rajahmundry. The pictures tweeted by Naidu reveals that the new capital will look like a part of Singapore or Dubai. If things go according to the plan, it will be the most modern city in entire South Asia. The Chief Minister reiterated that the state government will do justice to the farmers who gave their land for the capital region. He also appealed to the Union government for the release of the funds for the new capital city and support for the state in policy and financial matters.
Highlights of the Seed Capital Area (SCA) Master Plan of the Capital City ‘Amaravati’
- It is planned for about 3 lakh residents and being developed as a vibrant business hub, a total of about 7 lakh jobs are expected to be created in various sectors including government jobs.
- The Seed Capital Area aspiration is to create a prosperous state of the art Central Business District (CBD) for business and living.
- It provides nodes and development corridors from transit oriented development approach.
- The various zones would comprise of central business district, residential townships, institutions, parks and gardens, water bodies, recreational spaces, water front etc.
- In line with the Capital City, the Seed Capital Area is planned on transit oriented development principles. To provide and enhance mobility and accessibility to the citizens, the master plan provides a transport hierarchy that comprises of an integrated network of metro rail network of about 12 kms, bus rapid transit of about 15 kms, downtown road of about 7 km, arterial roads and sub-arterial roads of about 26 kms and collector roads of about 53 kms, with varying broad right-of-ways.
- The city being planned on sustainable development principles, extensive large open green spaces have been planned that shall add value to the urban ecosystem. The landscape would create world class aesthetic appeal to make city livable and attractive.
- Special emphasis has been laid to enhance development of extensive walkways and pedestrianisation interlinked with open and green spaces with a blue and green network of more than 25 kms to promote walk-to-work environment and non-motorized transport.
- The iconic developments will include state-of-the-art government complex, city gateway, cultural centre, convention center etc.
- The Seed Capital Area master plan provisions for waste management systems that would enable innovative methods for waste collection, transportation, treatment and resource recovery such as Waste-to-Energy, thereby creating a resourceful, safe and healthy city.
- The Seed capital conserves more than 40% of the green areas and the blue areas in the seed capital sprawl over 50% of the Seed Capital.
- The Seed Capital Area development will be implemented on Public Private Partnership by selecting job creation and investment partner.
Naidu said steps would be taken to complete the first phase of the capital city by 2018. The seed capital would be developed first, followed by the capital city and region. For the government officials who will be involved in the development of Amaravati and the capital region, Singapore Cooperation Enterprise has begun to provide capacity development training in various areas.